Visiting the Pyramids of Giza can be daunting, after all, you'll likely only get the opportunity to see them once! That is why it is so important to be prepared ahead of your visit.
Read on to find out our top 10 tips about visiting the Pyramids of Giza during your trip to Egypt, to make sure your visit is as smooth as possible and you can see as much as possible.
- 1. Take a Tour Guide
- 2. Prioritize What You Want to See
- 3. Get Your Tickets
- 4. What to Wear?
- 5. Stay Hydrated
1. Take a Tour Guide: They're the Experts!
Because there is just so much to visit, see, and learn during your time at the pyramids, we do recommend taking a tour guide with you. Whether you get a private or a group tour, an expert will be able to help make sure you see everything without skipping over anything important, and that you have all the background information on the Pyramids of Giza that you need to put together the full picture!
2. Prioritize What You Want to See
Reading up to make sure you know what you want to see ahead of time can make your visit more successful. As there is a lot to see, this will ensure you don't miss anything you really wanted to see, and will help you with the next tip. You are able to enter all three pyramids, for example, but most people will pick one as there are additional costs to doing this. Choosing which pyramid you want to enter ahead of time will help you plan.
Suggested reading: The Great Sphinx of Giza: Uncover Its History and Facts You Didn't Know
3. Get Your Pyramid Tickets Ahead of Time
If you do decide to go ahead and visit the Pyramids of Giza without a tour guide, we suggest booking your tickets online in advance because they can sometimes sell out by 8am during peak travel season. This is especially the case for the capped number of tickets that are available to visit the inside of the pyramids.
Contact us if you'd like for us to arrange an trip to the the Pyramids of Giza.
4. Wear Sunscreen, a Hat, and the Right Footwear
Your visit to the Pyramids of Giza will be outdoors for most of your time, so you'll want to make sure you are protected from the sun by wearing sunscreen and a hat, and that you're comfortable by wearing suitable footwear. You'll be doing a lot of steps on your visit, and you want to make sure that you are able to do everything by wearing comfortable trainers or sneakers that don't hurt your feet. Wearing closed shoes is also recommend as you'll be walking through the desert.
Suggested reading: Which is the Oldest Pyramid in Egypt? - Step Pyramid of Djoser
5. Drink Plenty of Water and Liquids
Make sure you stay hydrated by bringing water, as there are not a lot of places to buy this from on-site. Time will fly once you're there, and you might break a sweat if you're there in the warmer months, so don't forget to drink plenty as it is easy to forget how much fluid you're losing through sweat. During the summer months we recommend bringing 2 liters (4 pints) per person for the day. There is one restaurant on site if you do run out, and there are a number of shops and stalls outside the entrances too.
6. Visit in the Winter Months (October to March)
We recommend visiting in the cooler months, October through to March, when it is "winter" in Egypt and temperatures are more bearable. Temperatures in the middle of summer (June through to August) are really high (high average 35°C or 96°F), so you will want to avoid these months where possible.
7. Book a Hotel with a Panoramic View of the Pyramids
If you have the time, we recommend staying in Giza for the night and booking a hotel with a view of the pyramids. What better way to experience the Great Pyramids of Giza than from your bedroom? They are lit up at night too, for breathtaking night views.
Suggested reading: 15 Ultimate Things to Do in Cairo
8. Enter at 8am to Beat the Crowds, If You Can
As the pyramids are so popular, tour buses are plentiful! Arriving at 8 a.m. will mean that you beat the bus rush which starts around 9am, and gives you some quieter time to enjoy the Pyramids of Giza without the crowds of people. Luckily the site is huge, so if you can't make it as early as 8am, you'll still have a wonderful time.
9. Wear Conservative Clothing, Don't Wear White
Because you'll be surrounded by desert, we don't recommend wearing your nicest white items of clothing as they will get likely dirty. We do recommend dressing conservatively, as expected throughout Egypt given the customs. For women this means covering shoulders and knees, so linen trousers would keep you nice and cool. Avoiding black will also keep you cooler in the warmer months.
Let us know if you are interested in Egypt trip
10. Get Tickets for the Sound and Light Show in Advance
The Sound and Light Show at the pyramids takes you back through history and brings the pyramids to life in the evenings through an entertaining sound and light show for all ages. Getting a ticket ahead of time is a must as it sells out every evening, but if you did book a hotel with a view over the pyramids, you're in luck and can watch it from your hotel room!
Contact us if you think these suggestions help.
Why Travel with Global Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 15-Day Morocco and Egypt Highlights Tour
- 2-Week Egypt and Jordan Family Adventure Tour
- 18-Day Egypt Jordan and Israel's Treasures Discovery Tour
- Middle East Tours 2023/2024: Personalized and Stress-free
- 12-Day Journey Through Egypt and Jordan's Ancient Lands
- 24-Day Panoramic Middle East Bible Journey
- 15-Day Best of Israel Jordan and Egypt Family Tour
- 16-Day Grand Egypt Tour with White Desert
- 9-Day Egypt Tour with Mount Sinai
- 12-Day Best Egypt Tour with Sharm El Sheikh
- How Long to Spend in the Middle East 2023: Itinerary Guide
- How to Plan a Trip to Israel and Jordan in 2023/2024
- Best & Worst Times to Visit Israel and Jordan 2023/2024
- Best and Worst Times to Visit Egypt and Jordan 2023/2024
- How to Plan a Trip to Egypt and Jordan in 2023/2024
- How Long to Spend in Egypt: Itineraries for First-Timers
- Planning a 2-Week Egypt Itinerary 2023/2024: Best 5 Options
- Best and Worst Times to Visit Egypt 2023/2024
- How to Plan a Nile River Cruise in Egypt 2023/2024
- How to Plan a Family Trip to Egypt in 2023/2024
- How to Plan a 3-Week Egypt Itinerary (2023/2024)
- Egypt Trip Cost 2023/2024, the Most Expensive & Cheapest Times
- Weather in Egypt in January 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in February 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in March 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in April 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in May 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in June 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in July 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in August 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in September 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in October 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in November 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in December 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips