Is 7 days enough for visiting Egypt? Although 7 days seems a short amount of time to spend in Egypt, it is still long enough to delve deeply into two cities or have a quick taste of three cities. The "Golden Triangle route" (Cairo–Luxor–Aswan) is the most popular itinerary — the classic choice.
You could also check out another four itineraries that cater specifically to first-time visitors for a variety of ideas. Additionally, we are more than happy to further customize any of the itineraries to align with your specific preferences and travel time.
- 1. Itinerary with a Nile Cruise
- 2. Itinerary with the Red Sea
- 3. Itinerary with Alexandria and Aswan
- 4. Itinerary with the White Desert
1. A Classic 7-Day Egypt Itinerary with a Nile Cruise
This itinerary showcases the best of Egypt: the pyramids in Cairo, the Nile scenery, and the majestic temples in Luxor and Aswan. A Nile cruise would save you from having to make hotel changes and enrich your travel experience with everchanging Nile views as well.
You could get inspiration from the following itinerary, which forms the base of many Egypt trips for our clients.
- Days 1–3 in Cairo (the Giza pyramid complex with a camel ride, the Great Sphinx, the Cairo Citadel, food tours, the Khan el-Khalili market, and the Egyptian Museum)
- Day 4: Nile cruise from Aswan (cruise boarding, the Aswan High Dam, the Philae temple complex, and the Unfinished Obelisk)
- Day 5: Nile cruise (the Edfu Temple and the Kom Ombo Temple)
- Days 6–7: Nile cruise to Luxor (the Valley of the Kings, the temple of Queen Hatshepsut, the Colossi of Memnon, the Luxor Temple, and the Karnak temple complex)
First-timers shouldn't miss the pyramids and the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. You could take a camel ride through the pyramid complex and, if you like, delve deeply into these ancient marvels with a close up tour (even going inside one). Beyond the historical wonders, a food-hunting tour would add fun to your trip!
To maximize your time, we have specially arranged a Nile cruise from Aswan to Luxor, which saves you 1 day compared with a cruise from Luxor to Aswan. You can leisurely indulge in the splendid temples, such as the Philae temple complex, the Kom Ombo Temple, and the Luxor Temple.
Too busy to select your preferred cruise from the abundant choices? Travel with our private Egypt tours, and we would carefully find the best cruises at the best rates for you!
2. A 7-Day Egypt Itinerary with the Red Sea: Couple/Family-Friendly
This 7-day itinerary perfectly combines the ancient civilization in Cairo with beach relaxation in Hurghada. Whether you're traveling with your teenage kids or going on a romantic vacation, the Red Sea is wonderful for relaxing and having watery fun.
Check out the following outlined itinerary or tell us your interests and we'd love to help to create your dream trip to Egypt.
- Days 1–3 in Cairo (the Giza pyramid complex with a camel ride, the Great Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, Saqqara, food tours, the Khan el-Khalili market, and the El Tannoura Dance Show)
- Days 4–7 in Hurghada (beach activities, such as snorkeling and diving, and a day trip for a desert safari, journeying to a Bedouin village)
In this itinerary, you'll fully discover Cairo's history: from the awesome Giza pyramid complex to the lesser-known, but older, Step Pyramid in Saqqara and the Egyptian Museum. Food tours and the El Tannoura Dance Show offer great opportunities to immerse yourself in the exotic local lifestyle.
Hurghada offers the perfect beach getaway if you're looking for relaxation, water adventures, and a tropical atmosphere. Known for snorkeling and diving paradises, you'll be amazed by the crystal waters and incredible marine life.
You could also take a jeep safari, venture into the desert, and explore the Bedouin village nearby.
3. A 7-Day Egypt Itinerary with Alexandria and Aswan/Luxor
If you would like a delightful escape from the chaotic city life and a unique glimpse into Egypt's rich past, this 7-day itinerary is specially designed for you.
We've also specially arranged boutique hotels with a view of the pyramids that are near the Nile. You can enjoy the tranquil atmosphere and have unique experiences.
Here is a brief itinerary summary for your information:
- Days 1–3 in Cairo (the Giza Pyramid complex, the Great Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, the Cairo Citadel, and the Khan el–Khalili market)
- Day 4 in Alexandria and to Cairo (the catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa, the Lighthouse of Alexandria, and the Library of Alexandria)
- Days 5–7 in Aswan (the Philae temple complex, the Aswan High Dam, a sunset felucca trip along the Nile, and Abu Simbel)
Besides Cairo, you're recommended to visit Alexandria and Aswan. Alexandria is blended with coastal charm and historical allure. You could explore the multi-cultural catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa and enjoy the sea view from the Lighthouse of Alexandria.
As one of the top three destinations in Egypt, Aswan is a serene Nile Valley destination and has a much calmer atmosphere than Luxor and Cairo. You can travel on the tranquil water of the Nile in a felucca (a traditional wooden boat) at sunset and see the timeless Abu Simbel temples up close.
Option 2: Ends in Luxor
If you're more interested in the grand temples in Luxor, contact us to personalize and tailor-make your dream trip. A suggested itinerary with Luxor ends as follows:
- Days 5–7 in Luxor (the Valley of the Kings, the temple of Queen Hatshepsut, the Colossi of Memnon, the Karnak temple complex, sunrise balloon rides, and a night city tour by horse-drawn carriage)
To create unforgettable memories in Luxor, don't miss a photogenic sunrise balloon ride and a city night tour in an interesting horse-drawn carriage.
Our trip to Li Jiang and Shaxi Yunnan
We arrived at Lijiang on 9/8. We enjoyed the time in Lijiang a lot with good hotel selection and a well planned program. We went onto Shaxi for the local singing festival of the local minority groups. It was a fantastic experience. What makes the trip most memorable is our guide Alice. She took excellent care of us, anticipating our every need. She was personable, warm and very knowledgeable. We shared many laughters and traded stories. She brought smiles to us during the entire trip. We will specifically ask for her again when we come back to Yunnan. Five star service.More
Consumer, Sep 2023
Great trip around Shanghai
This was our first time ever visiting Shanghai so we wanted to see good places to go to and good food to eat in Shanghai. That's why we booked with China Highlights. They're very responsive and quick to arrange our 3 day trip. Our guide name is Qi and she is a very sweet and helpful person. She knew we wanted to explore many local foods, so she brought us some local breakfast foods when she picked us up from our hotel, just so we can try everything! She was knowledgeable as well about the culture and history of the places we went to. Will definitely recommend this tour and use China Highlights again for our next trip to China!More
Sherry, Sep 2023
Great way to see the city
Private tour with China highlights made seeing Xi'an super easy. We saved a lot of time with a private driver, and our guide Jenny took really good care of us, sending instructions for where to meet once getting off the train and made everything feel really safe and easy. She also accommodated a number of last minute changes to our itinerary without batting an eye. She was very patient, knowledgeable and friendly. It was great having a guide who grew up locally in the area to show us around (which is not always the case, from my previous experiences elsewhere). Would definitely recommend!More
Stephanie N, Sep 2023
One Day Beijing Trip (Great Wall, Summer Palace) With Jennifer
My tour guide Jennifer made this quick one day trip to Beijing great! The day started out a bit overcast and rainy when I landed, but Jennifer’s positive attitude and kind communication (along with her being able to keep up/put up with my jokes) made it fine.Despite this, Jennifer and our driver Chen were able to swing an extra photo shoot stop at the Olympic Stadium. I guess it gives me an excuse to come back to visit again, and when I do - I will use China Highlights and this great fantastic team.More
Alan Landau, Sep 2023
Mervyn is what we call a perfect tour guide!
Mervyn is what we call a perfect tour guide! She is extremely informative all the way through. She knows hers stuff and she is also enthusiastic, knowledgeable, personable and very willing to help. The whole day was perfect. A great amount of walking and a lots of physical activity ( hiking) and she was all smiling, accommodating and keeping us informative. She was absolutely the best tour guide we've ever encountered in China. Her English is perfect! Everything was so well organized. Her knowledge of the local culture and history is impressive. FantasticMore
pdaroundthewrorld, Sep 2023
Best Great Wall experience
Used China Highlights for a private all-day tour of Jinshanling portion of the Great Wall. One of the best days of my life! Tour guide Alan and a driver met me at my hotel and the ride was very comfortable. Alan was extremely knowledgable and friendly, I really enjoyed talking with him. The scenery was astoundingly beautiful; this is a less touristy portion of the Wall. The hiking was fun, Alan brought plenty of water, and showed me things I would not have noticed by myself. On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at a local restaurant for lunch that Alan had arranged - delicious! Once in a lifetime experience.More
LZviajera, Sep 2023
Our tour guide was Mervyn, and she was amazing! She had great knowledge of Xi'an and the silk road, and we learned so many things we didn't know before. The Muslim quarter is a must-see, with so many streets of food. Terracotta warriors were breathtaking. We did a Hanfu experience and enjoyed walking the city at night in our tang Dynasty outfits. We wish we spent more than 2 days here as there's so much to do. Definitely recommend this tour and will be visiting again!More
Laura A, Sep 2023
Unforgettable trip to Guilin
We enjoyed an incredible two day trip in Guilin, taking a brief half-day boat cruise on the Li River and cycling around Yangshuo in the afternoon with our guide Gary. Gary met us at the airport and made us feel very welcome, providing us with five-star service. He gave us a lot of insight about Guilin and the Guangxi region and even gave us a tai chi lesson on the boat. He provided us excellent dining suggestions for the evening as well as suggestions of things to do. Thank you Gary for making our trip to Guilin so memorable!More
Regis B, Sep 2023
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
We were paired with great guides on every city, very knowleadgeble and hardworking people that made our trip fabulous. Jack in Beijing was brilliant and very resourceful making sure we enjoyed the city even when he wasn't with us. In Xi'An we were paired with Crystal that was incredibly smart and made sure we felt we had not only a guide but a friend to rely on in Xi'An, we loved how she made sure we tried the best food and fruit available and helped us from arrival to departure from Xi'An. Finally, kudos to Gary (Wei Li) that worked with us in Guiling and Yangshuo. Gary is a local to Guiling and truly proud of his city and origins. We learned a lot from him and he trully went above and beyond to ensure we had a great time in Guiling adjusting the itinerary to our liking and taking time to explain everything. On our flight out of Guiling we had a bit of an issue with our tickets (booked by ourselves) and Gary promptly lent a hand to help us sort it out with the airport staff, trully a champion. If you are heading to Guiling with Chinahighlights, make sure to have Gary as your guide.More
Moises, Sep 2023
Our guide, Linda, was by far the best person to have for our tours of The Forbidden City, Tianamen Square, and Mutianyu Great Wall. She was an encyclopedia with great knowledge of Chinese History and was able to explain every detail of what we were seeing. She picked us up with a very nice car and driver from our hotel both days, at the time most convenient to us, and dropped us back off wherever we wanted at the end of our tours. Both the Forbidden City and the Great Wall are marvels of human and Chinese achievements and are a must to see in Beijing. Visiting them both with a tour guide that feels more like a friend was certainly helping enjoying it even more.More
Robin Z, Sep 2023
Stunning Yellow Mountain and beautiful Ancient Villages
We had the most fantastic experience with our tour guide, Jack Fan, who is very knowledgeable about the Yellow Mountain and was able to get us quickly to the most stunning highlights. He was our "photographer" anytime we wanted a photo and that was very often. We made the most of our time having him guiding us. He was truly the mountain man as he is a local there. He is very passionate about what he does. He loves history, nature, and travel, which is a must for a guide. He provided historical facts about the stunning Ancient villages at Hong Cun and Xidi. He answered any questions we had about history, nature, and current things we had. I felt like he was a professor, and we were his students in a very good way. He was NEVER late, and neither was our driver. They never bought us anywhere to "sell" us things. He took us to buy tea only when we asked to buy a specific tea, staying much later than he should have! I wanted to check out lotus and rice fields, which was not on the itinerary, but he squeezed it in for us. We were very well taken care of. I highly recommend Jack for a tour guide who speaks English.More
annemompt, Sep 2023
An Unforgettable Tibetan Adventure - Qinghai Train Ride Y971
I recently embarked on an unforgettable journey to Tibet, a land steeped in mysticism and rich cultural heritage. My train trip on the famous scenic Qinghai route on train Y971 Lhasa played a significant role in making this trip an extraordinary experience.Upon my arrival in Lhasa via an overnight train, I was warmly welcomed by the guide assigned Tenzin Lhatse. He had waited for more than 3 hours as he was not informed there was a change in the train schedule. Nontheless, it did not dampen his warm attitude and the seamless transferfrom the train station to the hotel set a positive tone for my stay.The highlight of my stay was undoubtedly the visit to the iconic Potala Palace. The sheer grandeur and architectural brilliance of this historic site left me in awe. The guidance of my knowledgeable tour guide, who revealed the stories behind each shrine, enriched my experience. However, the strict visitor limits and rules underscored the importance of preserving this ancient marvel. The Old Barkhor Street Walking Tour was a journey through time. From Jokhang Temple to the bustling local market, each stop offered insights into Tibetan daily life and folk customs. The Pandatsang Compound's history and the cup of Tibetan sweet tea at Ani Tsangkhung Nunnery added unique flavors to the tour.Overall, my journey through Tibet was an incredible odyssey into a world of spirituality, culture, and natural beauty. I'm glad to have taken this step with my wife to challenge the train ride which was totally worthy of this lifetime.More
GOH-family-tours, Sep 2023
Wonderful trip to the Chinese Silk Road
Special shout out to our guide for the Gansu leg, Helen, who was the most caring guide we have come across in all of our travels. Make sure you ask for her!More
ED, Sep 2023
Fantastic first trip in Shanghai
My partner and I were visiting China for the first time. Our tour guide was Martin, who was friendly and very knowledgeable. He adjusted the tour to our needs and gave us an extensive tour of Shanghai as well as many fascinating insights on China. He also went above and beyond and offered us plenty of recommendations on what to do in the evenings, how to get there, and even made bookings for us. Martin, thanks again!More
Regis, Sep 2023
Yangshuo is magical from the misty…
The guide Lily has a great knowledge in hidden gems and the history about the places. Very memorable experience that i have thanks to them.More
Dony Yugo, Sep 2023
Beijing is AMAZING
Linda Wang our amazing tour guide helped us to have an unforgettable trip to all the best of Beijing. From organizing the driver (also excellent) to drop us/pick us up exactly when we were leaving busy tourist sites, excellent food recommendations, fascinating knowledge relevant to us and our children (13yo and 11yo) making The Forbidden City, Tiannamen Square, Great Wall, Beijing Zoo and The Hutongs thoroughly enjoyable. Handling all the entrance/exit passport and ticket requirements, interpreting, answering any questions we had about local culture, we were so comfortable and happy, never rushed, everything you could want and more.More
Michelle A, Sep 2023
Incredible 2 day tour of Jiuzhaiguo
Our tour guide Mary spoke perfect English, was so nice to us and took us to all the best sights in Jiuzhaiguo. It was an unforgettable tour with incredible views!More
Declan O, Sep 2023
Helen is the best Panda tour guide going around!
I had a fantastic Panda tour with Helen in Chengdu City. From the moment she picked me up, my energy was low from a heap of travelling, but Helen quickly brought me up a notch with her breathtaking passion for Pandas. Not only did she provide a fantastic experience accommodating my every need, but she was also a genuinely kind and joyful company to tour the city with. I can't recommend Helen enough - you won't regret it!More
Isaac C, Sep 2023
Two days in Xi’an
What an amazing few days in Xi’an! Our guide Jenny was first class - very knowledgeable and very helpful, she went out of her way to make sure we had the best experience like ordering us coffees & food and booking dinners for us. The highlight was of course visiting the Terracotta Warriors, but we also really enjoyed visiting a local family to make dumplings. Can’t recommend this trip and Jenny enough!More
Marvin K, Sep 2023
Fantastic experiences in Guilin and the beautiful surroundings together with Vincent.
Go44854472794, Sep 2023
4. A 7-Day Egypt Itinerary with the White Desert Adventure
If you'd like to experience something adventurous in Egypt, this itinerary is tailor-made for you. After full explorations of Cairo, you'll venture into the Black and White Deserts with their surreal landscapes.
If you enjoy off-road adventures, you can take a 4x4 vehicle to navigate the rocky landscapes and desert trails.
If you seek a tranquil atmosphere, camping is also one of the best experiences. You and your family/partner can spend quality time together: create a picturesque campsite, enjoy a memorable local dinner under the starry sky, and capture the awe-inspiring sunsets/sunrises.
Here is the brief itinerary for your information.
- Days 1–3 in Cairo (the Giza Pyramid complex, food hunting tour, the Egyptian Museum, the Cairo Citadel, and the Khan el–Khalili market)
- Days 4–6 in Bahariya (Bahariya Oasis, Crystal Mountain, the Black Desert, the White Desert, jeep safari and desert camping)
- Day 7 Departure from Cairo
Insider tips: Travel permits are required for the White Desert. When you travel with us, we'll handle it for you.
5. A 7-Day Egypt Itinerary with Mount Sinai
If you are taking a pilgrimage trip to the Middle East, this itinerary could be best for your time in Egypt before heading to Jordan and Israel.
You can follow the tracks of the Holy Family, from the desert monasteries in Wadi El Natrun and the coast of the Red Sea to the holy peak of Mount Sinai.
With permission requirements for Mount Sinai, a private tour would help to make your trip go more smoothly.
Here is a typical pilgrimage tour itinerary for your reference:
- Days 1–3 in Cairo (the Giza pyramid complex with a camel ride, the Great Sphinx, the Hanging Church, Wadi El Natrun, the Khan el-Khalili market, and the Egyptian Museum)
- Days 4–5 in Saint Catherine (Saint Catherine's Monastery and a trek up Mount Sinai)
- Days 6–7 in Ain Sokhna (snorkeling and diving, relaxing on the beach)
You can learn more about pilgrimage sites in the Middle East from our 24-Day Grand Middle East Bible Journey. If you would like to get rid of the hassles of planning your pilgrimage trip, just leave your interests and schedule with us and we'll take care of everything for you!
6. A 7-Day Egypt Itinerary with Jordan
If you want to see the multiple facets of the Middle East within 7 days, look no further than this 2-countries-in-1-week itinerary. Bordering with Egypt, you could easily reach the capital of Jordan in 1 hour by air.
With this itinerary, your trip could be enhanced by floating on the Dead Sea and exploring the mystical Rose City of Petra. For romantic celebrations, take in the spectacle of Petra by Night and wander around a candlelit Petra. If would you like something adventurous, we can also exclusively create a customized hiking tour just for you.
A classic route is suggested below for your inspiration: 3 days in Egypt and 4 days in Jordan.
- Days 1–3 in Cairo (the Giza pyramid complex with a camel ride, the Great Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, Saqqara, the Khan el-Khalili market, and the El Tannoura Dance Show)
- Day 4: in Amman (the Citadel, the Roman Theater, and the ancient city of Jerash)
- Days 5–7 in Petra (the Dead Sea, the Treasury, the Monastery, the Great Temple, and Tomb, Petra by Night)
If you have more days, you could extend your trip to go camping in the Mars-like Wadi Rum and have fun on a beach vacation at the Red Sea. You could check out our handpicked 2-week Egypt and Jordan tour for inspiration.
How Much Does a 7-Day Egypt Tour Cost?
You can expect the price of a 7-day private Egypt tour to be about US$1,000–1,800 per person. Children under 10 can receive discounts of between 30% and 50%.
The bigger your family or the more friends you invite, the more money you can save. Going right before or after the peak time (November to March) is beneficial to save some costs and still have the chance of catching some warmer weather. If you're celebrating Christmas and New Year in Egypt, consider departing before December 20th for more affordable international flight tickets.
Contact us, ideally 3-6 months in advance, for the best of the early-bird benefits. Specializing in customized private tours, traveling with us is also helpful to optimize your costs. You'd have a unique and personalized travel experience that goes beyond traditional group tours, with worry-free private transfers, character-filled boutique hotels, and authentic local food experiences.
You could find more details in How Much Does a Trip to Egypt Cost? >>>
Traveling to Egypt With Us
You are warmly welcomed to have us customize your own trip based on your group size, interests, and other needs. Sit back and use our Create My Trip service.
For inspiration, you could also see the following popular Egypt tours:
Why Travel with Global Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 15-Day Morocco and Egypt Highlights Tour
- 12-Day Journey Through Egypt and Jordan's Ancient Lands
- 15-Day Best of Israel Jordan and Egypt Family Tour
- 2-Week Egypt and Jordan Family Adventure Tour
- 18-Day Egypt Jordan and Israel's Treasures Discovery Tour
- 24-Day Panoramic Middle East Bible Journey
- Middle East Tours 2023/2024: Personalized and Stress-free
- 12-Day Best Egypt Tour with Sharm El Sheikh
- 9-Day Egypt Tour with Mount Sinai
- 16-Day Grand Egypt Tour with White Desert
- How to Plan a 2-Week Itinerary in Egypt and Jordan
- How to Plan a 10-Day Israel, Jordan, Egypt Itinerary
- How to Plan a Trip to Egypt and Jordan in 2023/2024
- How to Plan a 7-Day Egypt and Jordan Itinerary (2023/2024)
- 3-Week Itineraries to Egypt, Jordan, and Israel for First-Timers
- Egypt Trip Cost 2023/2024, the Most Expensive & Cheapest Times
- How to Plan a 3-Week Egypt Itinerary (2023/2024)
- How to Plan a Trip to Egypt 2023/2024 & Itinerary Ideas
- Planning a 2-Week Egypt Itinerary 2023/2024: Best 5 Options
- How to Plan a Family Trip to Egypt in 2023/2024
- How to Plan a Nile River Cruise in Egypt 2023/2024
- Best and Worst Times to Visit Egypt 2023/2024
- Weather in Egypt in January 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in February 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in March 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in April 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in May 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in June 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in July 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in August 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in September 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in October 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in November 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in December 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips