Three weeks in Egypt would allow you to unveil more hidden gems in the popular cities, go off the beaten path, and have a longer beach vacation at the Red Sea.
In this article, we offer suggestions on allocating your time, provide three well-organized itineraries, and advise you on cost ranges to help you plan your dream trip.
- How to Spend Your 3 Weeks in Egypt
- Itinerary 1: Egypt In-Depth Exploration
- Itinerary 2: Morocco and Egypt Highlights
How to Spend Your 3 Weeks in Egypt
If you have 3 weeks for an Egypt trip, broadly speaking, you have two choices: an in-depth exploration of Egypt or going beyond Egypt.
To fully indulge in Egypt's attractions, you could spend 9 days on the "Golden Triangle route" (Cairo–Luxor–Aswan) including a Nile cruise (4–5 days). Relaxing on beaches (4–5 days) near the Red Sea is not to be missed, especially for couples.
Besides these most popular places, you could venture into the White Desert for 3 days, trek up Mount Sinai with a 2-day excursion, and have an exploration of coastal Alexandria for 2 days.
If somewhere besides Egypt would best fulfill your 3-week travel ambitions, adding one or two nearby countries is a great option with a comfortable tour pace. You could spend 9–12 days exploring Egypt's iconic destinations before moving on to your next destination. Most of our clients prefer to combine Egypt with Morocco or Jordan and/or Israel. If you have your own bucket list destinations, we're happy to tailor-make a dream trip for you!
Discover real reviews of Highlights Travel Family's best-rated service across trusted platforms.
Mi esposo y yo, tuvimos la oportunidad de visitar la hermosa ciudad de Xian, la muralla de la ciudad, los guerreros de terracota, el barrio musulmán, todo esto con la mejor guia del mundo mundial!!! Susana, quien aparte de ser super simpática, tiene un gran conocimiento de la ciudad, la historia de los lugares y monumentos y aparte está siempre al pendiente de cualquier cosa que necesites y va más allá par hacerte tener una experiencia excelente, nos quedamos con ganas de regresar. Gracias x todo!!More
Betty A, Feb 2024
Shanghai is an amazing mix of modern and historical China. Our guide Kris was great and very flexible when it came to completing the itinerary which was helpful considering the poor weather + visibility on the first day when we were supposed to visit Shanghai tower. Walking along the river front (bund) area was a big highlight for us.More
Explore49612084715, Feb 2024
We traveled to Shanghai in Jan/Feb 2024 with China Highlights. Shanghai is an amazing mix of modern and historical China. Our guide Kris was great and very flexible when it came to completing the itinerary which was helpful considering the poor weather + visibility on the first day when we were supposed to visit Shanghai tower. Walking along the river front (bund) area was a big highlight for us.More
Lydia, Feb 2024
Shanghai trip for Mihail
Me and my wife had a trip to China and part of it we spent in Shanghai. Our private tour guide was Kris Lee and I have to say he was very much up for the task. His knowledge of China's history was quite comprehensive and more than I could have expected. If only I could have that kind of memory. His level of English exceeded my expectations and that of course served us very well not only in understanding the Chinese culture, traditions, way of life, etc, but also allowed us to order meals, drinks, make purchases, ask whatever questions coming to mind, making us comfortable to experience the place without the inherent language issues we could have had otherwise. All in all Kris Lee is certainly an asset for any travel agency from ChinaMore
Mihail D, Feb 2024
Mi esposo y yo, tuvimos la oportunidad de visitar la hermosa ciudad de Xian, la muralla de la ciudad, los guerreros de terracota, el barrio musulmán, todo esto con la mejor guia del mundo mundial!!! Susana, quien aparte de ser super simpática, tiene un gran conocimiento de la ciudad, la historia de los lugares y monumentos y aparte está siempre al pendiente de cualquier cosa que necesites y va más allá par hacerte tener una experiencia excelente, nos quedamos con ganas de regresar. Gracias x todo!!
Daisy was our guide for 3 days in Dali. She was the best guide we have had in China. She was very warm. Just like a close friend. She was extremely knowledgeable about the culture and history of the area. She took many pictures of us even without our asking her to.Her English was excellent!More
David, Feb 2024
Daisy was an amazing guide
Daisy was an amazing guide. She took us to the old town, on a boat ride, and to Sha xi. She was very warm. She explained everything in detail and answered all of our questions. She made us feel very welcome.More
文 文, Feb 2024
1 Day in Beijing
Nice views, Not too much people, Jessi (guide ) so friendly and she have a great service & she knows the answer of all your questionsMore
Fernando J, Feb 2024
Zhangjiajie/ Spectacular scenery and great taste of local culture.
Zhangjiajie immediately went to the top of our list of natural attractions in the world. The landscapes are fascinating and unique. We really valued the guidance by China Highlights. Roger was good accommodating to our needs during the planning phase. In the actual trip Linda provided us with knowledgeable and passionate guidance. She was very personable and respectful at the same time. Her advice was critical to be able to see so much - as in every park or area there are multiple buses to move around. She showed us the best spots at the best time.Local restaurant selection was good. One piece of advice- make sure to specify how much spice you enjoy in your food. Local food can be quite spicy.More
Raul C Mexico city, Jan 2024
Private trip in Beijing and Luoyang
We spent 3 days in Beijing with Helen as our guide. We went to TianAnMen, Forbidden City and MuTianYu Great Wall to name a few. Helen took great care of us and is very attentive as I travel with my 60+ years old parents, from asking whether we need restroom breaks to making sure that our lunch were all according to our dietary needsMore
Iriana Iriana, Jan 2024
An excellent day with Linda
Linda (Ling ling)is a great tour guide,provide a lot of knowledge and history of the great wall,and took us to taste very delicious food too,we had a very good time with her!highly recommend her!More
Angeline Lim, Jan 2024
Great time in Beijing with Bruce
We stayed in Beijing for three days altogether. We went to the summer palace. the Tian'an'men square, the Forbidden City,the Temple of heaven and the Great Wall. Our tour guide Bruce is very friendly and speaks English fluently. He explained every scenic spot to us patiently and humorously. my family are very satisfied with his service.More
Mayra C, Jan 2024
Profesional and detail oriented
My last stop was Shanghai. I was greeted by Martin. It is pretty much a 1 day itinerary there. Martin took me to all the stops and introduced me to a cool tea house not on the agenda. With the extra time we had we also stopped Starbuck’s Reserve which is the largest in the world. Martin also helped me make reservations at the Old Jazz Club at the Fairmont Hotel.More
Megan Sandbothe, Jan 2024
We recently spent 4 days with Alvin hosting us throughout Huangshan, Tunxi and Hongcun. The scenery was spectacular, hotels quirky, food excellent and knowledge and passion from Alvin was so invaluable and also fun! Would highly recommend.More
Joanne, Jan 2024
Great couple days in Shanghai. Thanks to my guide Martin for showing me best of Shanghai. Great work by China team - trip very well organised.More
Steve P, Jan 2024
Amazing experience !!!
Great tour! Very flexible and our tour guide Chris was so amazing that he adjusted to our last time request there! I totally recommend this tour !!More
Victor A, Jan 2024
Private trip in Beijing and Luoyang
We spent 3 days in Beijing with Helen as our guide. We went to TianAnMen, Forbidden City and MuTianYu Great Wall to name a few. Helen took great care of us and is very attentive as I travel with my 60+ years old parents, from asking whether we need restroom breaks to making sure that our lunch were all according to our dietary needs. We had great 3 days in Beijing.We also visited Luoyang. Our travel advisor arranged a Business class seat for our high speed train to Luoyang. We were picked up at the station by our guide in Luoyang, Lisa. We then visited Dengfeng to see Songyang academy, shaolin temple, Luoyang grottoes. She also took care of us very well and very knowledgeable about the history.More
, Jan 2024
2 days in the mountains
Alvin was attentive and good company. He went to the extra effort to show us things we were interested in viewing and provided detailed information.More
Robert Fleming, Jan 2024
Amazing trip in China
Guides were Mark in Beijing, Jenny in Xi’an, Frank in Guilin/Yangshuo and Kris and Peter in Shanghai. I can’t say enough how wonderful each of them were to us. They worked very hard to give us a five star tour. The drivers were five star as well. Our hotels were very clean and wonderful with a great breakfast buffet each morning. Our guides would take us to a great locals place for lunch each day and then dinner we were on our own, but each guide would give us fantastic places to go. I know without a doubt our trip was exceptional due to booking with Liberman at China Highlights Tour Company.More
Mary Ann Brady, Jan 2024
China Highlights is Excellent
Jenny was the tour guide in Xian, showed us the terracota warriors found in 1974 by a farmer behind a mountain masoleum, with projected ongoing excavations for next 100 years. Made clay model terracota warriors.Jenny is very enthusiastic and bubbly, helped us all the way, from picking up us from train station to dropping us off at the airport.More
Brahma P, Jan 2024
Datong, China's best kept secret!
I've had multiple guides for different locations with China highlights but Joy was exceptional. She was easy to talk to, super knowledgeable and also amazingly organised. When visiting the Yungang grottoes not only did I get wonderful explanations of the symbolism of the cave carvings and history of the art styles but Joy even prepared a notepad for the commemorative stamps available there so that I had a souvenir to tax home with me.More
Kris, Jan 2024
Itinerary 1: 3-Week Egypt In-Depth Exploration
If you want to explore Egypt to the fullest, take this 3-week itinerary. It perfectly balances the iconic highlights as well as taking you off the beaten path.
You're welcome to get inspiration from the following itinerary, which has a thoughtful winding-down destination sequence.
Week 1: Cairo, Alexandria, and the White Desert
- Days 1–3 in Cairo (the Giza pyramid complex with camel riding, Saqqara, the Cairo Citadel, the Egyptian Museum, the Khan el-Khalili market, and the El Tannoura Dance Show)
- Days 4–5 in Alexandria (the catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa, the Lighthouse of Alexandria, and the Library of Alexandria)
- Days 6–8 in Bahariya (Bahariya Oasis, Crystal Mountain, the Black Desert, the White Desert, and desert camping)
In the first week, you'd immerse yourself in historical Cairo, relax in coastal Alexandria, and venture into the White Desert.
Your Cairo trip is not complete without seeing the pyramids. You can snap breathtaking photos of the iconic pyramids of Giza, as well as discover the lesser-explored Step Pyramid. To create memorable moments, don't miss the sunset panoramic view from the Cairo Citadel and the interesting El Tannoura Dance Show.
After visiting the Mediterranean coast and Alexandria, you'd take a desert camping trip in the Black and White deserts. You and your partner can escape from the chaotic cities, get close up to the surreal desert formations, and enjoy stargazing together. A private tour is highly recommended due to the hassles of navigation and getting documents from the government. Travel with us and we'd take care of everything for you!
Week 2: A Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan
- Day 9 in Cairo (Coptic Cairo and free time)
- Days 10–11: Nile cruise from Luxor (cruise check-in, the Luxor Temple, the Karnak temple complex, the Valley of the Kings, the temple of Queen Hatshepsut, and the Colossi of Memnon)
- Day 12: Nile cruise (the Temple of Kom Ombo and the Temple of Horus in Edfu)
- Days 13–14: Nile cruise, arriving in Aswan (Aswan city tour visiting the Aswan High Dam, the Philae temple complex, the Unfinished Obelisk, and Abu Simbel, then the cruise check-out)
Compared to flights or road trips from Luxor to Aswan, you can have an all-in-one travel experience with a Nile cruise. It helps to avoid frequent hotel changes and offers breathtaking Nile scenery as well as exciting shore excursions to majestic temples.
To keep you away from the chaotic groups, we specifically provide private guides for all of your offshore excursions. If you would like a more-exclusive cruise for a milestone celebration, take a dahabiya (a traditional wooden houseboat) with just 5–6 cabins!
Too overwhelmed to select your cruise among the abundant choices? Simply leave us your interests and schedule, and you'll get a personalized Egypt itinerary including the best Nile cruise for you within 24 hours!
Week 3: Mount Sinai and the Red Sea
- Days 15–16 in Saint Catherine (Saint Catherine's Monastery and trek up Mount Sinai)
- Days 17–21 in Sharm el-Sheikh (snorkeling and diving, relaxing on the beach)
Hiking up Mount Sinai adds an adventurous touch to your trip. We strongly suggest that you go to see the sunset to avoid the huge groups that flock to the summit at midnight. Similar to the White Desert, you have to apply for authorization to visit Mount Sinai.
A beach getaway is the perfect way to top off your Egypt trip. Sharm el-Sheikh embraces world-class luxury resorts, stunning beaches, and exciting water activities. For your trip, we would carefully select from the diversity of hotels to cater to your preferences, such as adult-only hotels.
Itinerary 2: 3-Week Morocco and Egypt Highlights Tour
This 3-week itinerary is particularly designed to showcase the best of North Africa. Morocco and Egypt are unparalleled destinations that unveil the rich cultural heritage and captivating experiences of North Africa, including the Nile, the pyramids, and the Sahara Desert.
Check out our carefully-crafted itinerary below for 9 days in Morocco and 12 days in Egypt.
Days 1–9 in Morocco
- Days 1–3 in Casablanca and Rabat (Hassan II Mosque, Kasbah des Oudaias, Hassan Tower, the Mausoleum of Mohammed V, and the Mausoleum of Moulay Ismail)
- Day 4 in Fes (the Mosque and University of Al-Karaouine, the Al-Attarine Madrasa, Chouara Tannery, and Nejjarine Museum of Wooden Arts and Crafts)
- Days 5–6 in Erfoud and Merzouga (a Sahara Desert safari and desert camping)
- Day 7 in Ouarzazate (the Todra Gorge and Ait Benhaddou)
- Days 8–9 in Marrakech (the Saadian Tombs, the Bahia Palace, the Koutoubia Mosque, Djemaa el-Fna Square, a hammam experience, and a caleche ride around the city walls)
For your first visit to Morocco, you're advised to go on a trip out to the Sahara Desert on the way from Casablanca to Marrakech.
During your trip, you would have the opportunity to explore Morocco's imperial cities, including Fez, Marrakech, and Rabat. Wandering through their atmospheric medinas (Arab old town quarters), you'll gain an insight into the local life, traditional handicrafts, and historical sites.
If you're seeking a once-in-a-lifetime experience, what could be more awe-inspiring than camping in the Sahara Desert? For the most favorable weather, you're advised to go camping between March and May, or September and November.
We also offer customized exclusive activities, such as walking tours in Fes, hiking tours in the Todra Gorge, cooking classes, and a medina hammam experience in Marrakech.
Days 10–21 in Egypt
- Days 10–13 in Cairo (the Giza pyramid complex, the Great Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, a food tour, Khan el-Khalili market, a day trip to Alexandria, and some free time)
- Days 14–17 on a Nile cruise from Aswan to Luxor (the Philae temple complex, the Temple of Kom Ombo, the Colossi of Memnon, the Temple of Horus, the Luxor Temple, and the Karnak temple complex)
- Days 18–21 in Hurghada (beach activities, such as snorkeling and diving)
After a more-energetic experience in Morocco, get ready for a more relaxing tour in Egypt. Marvel at the ancient history in Cairo, take an enchanting Nile cruise from Aswan to Luxor, and unwind on a beach in Hurghada.
For a romantic trip, you would probably enjoy an impressive sunset felucca sailing trip on the Nile and a sunrise balloon ride over Luxor. If you desire a more-intimate atmosphere, we can customize your beach vacation from the bustling Hurghada to the tranquil El Gouna.
Contact us to create more romantic moments and surprises for you and your beloved.
Itinerary 3: Egypt, Jordan, and Israel in 3 Weeks
If you are more interested in seeing more of the Middle East, look no further than this 3-week itinerary. You'll taste the best of Egypt, Jordan, and Israel. As neighbors, you can easily travel from one country to another.
As the epitome of the Middle East, you can trace the footsteps of ancient civilizations in Egypt, uncover the secrets of the magical landscapes in Jordan, and immerse yourself in the holy land of Israel.
See the following handcrafted itinerary with 9 days in Egypt, 8 days in Jordan, and 4 days in Israel. You could also let us know your interests and we would happily tailor-make your dream trip.
Days 1–9 in Egypt
- Days 1–3 in Cairo (the Giza pyramid complex, the Great Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, the Citadel of Cairo, Coptic Cairo, food tours, and the Khan el-Khalili market)
- Day 4 in Alexandria and to Cairo (the catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa, the Lighthouse of Alexandria, and the Library of Alexandria)
- Days 5–6: Nile cruise from Luxor (cruise check-in, the Luxor Temple, the Karnak temple complex, the Valley of the Kings, the temple of Queen Hatshepsut, and the Colossi of Memnon)
- Day 7: Nile cruise (the Temple of Kom Ombo and the Temple of Horus in Edfu)
- Day 8–9: Nile cruise, arriving in Aswan (a city tour to visit the Aswan High Dam, the Philae temple complex, the Unfinished Obelisk, and Abu Simbel, then the cruise check-out)
Similar to other Egypt itineraries above, you'd explore Egypt via a classic route: Cairo – Alexandria – a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan.
If you have any other interests, click Create My Trip, and you'll get a tailor-made itinerary within 24 hours!
Days 10–16 in Jordan
- Days 10–11 in Amman (the Citadel, the Roman Theater, and the ancient city of Jerash)
- Days 12–13 in Petra (Mount Nebo, Saint George's Church in Madaba, the Siq, the Treasury, the Monastery, and Petra by Night)
- Days 14–15 in Wadi Rum (martian landscapes in Wadi Rum, a desert safari, and desert camping with stargazing)
- Day 16 at the Dead Sea (Bethany Beyond the Jordan and floating on the Dead Sea)
For a comfortable week-long Jordan tour, it is wise to visit Jordan's iconic destinations: Amman, the Dead Sea, Petra, and Wadi Rum. Amman and Petra would offer Jordan's glorious history and architectural wonders. The Dead Sea and Wadi Rum would present Jordan's unique landscapes.
Floating on the Dead Sea, you would have fun floating effortlessly together, while camping in Mars-like Wadi Rum would provide an opportunity to build and strengthen intimate relationships with your partner. Seeing the Petra By Night show is an incredible and romantic way to experience Arab culture as you enjoy the tranquility and appreciate the candle-lit Treasury.
Days 17–21 in Israel
- Days 17–19 in Jerusalem (the Western Wall, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Mount of Olives, and a day trip to Bethlehem)
- Days 20–21: Tel Aviv (the ancient city of Jaffa, Carmel Market, and Tel Aviv Museum of Art)
Israel is a small country and if a pilgrimage is not your thing, 5 days are adequate to have a quick taste of Israel in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
Jerusalem is the big draw in Israel for its profound religious significance and historical treasures, such as the Mount of Olives, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, and the Western Wall.
Unlike mundane history lessons, our private local guides bring these historical sites to life with their expert knowledge and personal experiences, making your travel experience vivid and engaging.
Tel Aviv will show you more modern life in Israel. You and your partner could have a sunset dinner in the ancient city of Jaffa. Cycling along the breathtaking coastline together is also fantastic.
How Much Is a 3-Week Trip to Egypt?
You can expect the price of a 3-week private Egypt tour to be about US$3,000–5,000 per person.
Inviting more friends or family to join you is beneficial to save costs per person. Going right before or after the peak time (November to March) is beneficial to save on some costs and still catch the good weather transition period. If you're celebrating Christmas and New Year in Egypt, consider departing before December 20th for more affordable international flight tickets.
Contact us 3-6 months in advance for some early-bird benefits. We are experts at optimizing your costs as well. Travel with us for a unique and personalized travel experience that goes beyond traditional group tours, including worry-free private transfers, character-filled boutique hotels, and authentic local food experiences.
Discovering Egypt With Us
You are warmly welcomed to have us customize your own trip based on your group size, interests, and other needs. Sit back and use our Create My Trip service.
For inspiration, you could also see the following popular Egypt tours:
Why Travel with Global Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 9-Day Essential Egypt Tour with Nile Cruise
- 9-Day Egypt Tour with Mount Sinai
- 10-Day Private Egypt Active Family Expedition Tour
- 12-Day Egypt Luxury Tour with Abu Simbel
- 12-Day Best Egypt Tour with Sharm El Sheikh
- 12-Day Journey Through Egypt and Jordan's Ancient Lands
- 2-Week Egypt and Jordan Family Adventure Tour
- 15-Day Egypt and Kenya Highlights Tour
- 15-Day Morocco and Egypt Highlights Tour
- 16-Day Grand Egypt Tour with White Desert
- How to Plan a 7-Day Egypt Itinerary 2024/2025: Top 6 Options
- Top 6 Egypt Itineraries for 8 Days (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a 10-Day Egypt Itinerary (Best 4 in 2024/2025)
- Top 4 Egypt Itineraries for 12-Day Trips (2023/2024)
- Planning a 2-Week Egypt Itinerary 2024/2025: Best 5 Options
- 2-Week Jordan and Israel Itineraries for First-Timers
- How to Plan a 3-Week Egypt Itinerary (2024/2025)
- How to Plan a Trip to Egypt 2024/2025 & Itinerary Ideas
- How to Plan a Trip to Egypt and Jordan in 2024/2025
- How to Plan a Family Trip to Egypt in 2024/2025
- How to Plan a Luxury Trip to Egypt in 2024/2025
- Best and Worst Times to Visit Egypt 2024/2025
- Weather in Egypt in January 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in February 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in March 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in April 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in May 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in June 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in July 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in August 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in September: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in October 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in November 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers
- Weather in Egypt in December 2024: Travel Tips for First-Timers