Egypt is one of the oldest and most fascinating civilizations and is known as the 'Land of the Pharaohs'. This is where the great ancient Egyptians wrote the history upon the sands of their lands. "Why should I visit Egypt?", you may ask. Maybe the question should be "Why not?" Why not … …
- Walk the footsteps of the Pharaohs.
- Behold the beauty and wonders that mankind built.
- Sail along the River Nile.
Over five thousand years of history – that is the legacy of Egypt, where you can learn about their ancient past, and how the past has shaped their future.
Did you know:
- 2023 is the 101th anniversary of the opening of Tutankhamun's tomb.
- The Grand Egyptian Museum, set to open in 2022 will be the largest archaeological museum in the world, with over 100,000 artifacts on display, including treasures from King Tutankhamun's tomb.
- A 3,000-year-old ancient road in Luxor known as the Grand Avenue of the Sphinxes officially reopened at the end of November 2021 with an epic grand procession after an extensive period of excavation. The 1.7-mile-long road is lined with approximately 700 sphinxes and connects Karnak Temple to Luxor Temple. It is one of the world's largest ancient sites.
- Egypt is also full of mystery and wonders, where you can embark on a journey from the surreal waters, and golden sand beaches, to remarkable architecture ever built in the history of mankind
Therefore, we have listed 6 main reasons why you should make Egypt a must destination on your bucket list.
Suggested read: How to Plan Your First Trip to Egypt — 7 Easy Steps
1. Discover the mysteries of one of the oldest civilizations
Egyptian civilization was known for its mighty armies and great leaders. The country with its blend of the past and ancient relics has survived time. With countless archaeological sites and some of the world's best museums, you will be embarking on a journey through historical times.
Further reading: 10 Best Places to Visit in Egypt (Can't Be Beaten for First-Timers)
2. Immerse yourself in the culture
While walking the ancient streets, and winding passages, makes Egypt a great place to experience how the culture has developed and grown from ancient to modern times. The Egyptians formed one of our most astonishing cultures, revered for their extraordinary architecture, renowned Pharaohs, and superb inventions that shaped our world.
Suggested reading: How to Plan a 2-Week Egypt Itinerary: 4 Itinerary Ideas
3. Amazing feats of ingenuity
The ancient Egyptians established a civilization, and heritage with lasting memories by carving history into the sands of their regions, where they built magnificent tombs, temples, monuments, artifacts, and other ancient items.
You will be captivated by the historical and cultural structures ever erected, like the Giza Pyramids Complex, Luxor Temple and Karnak Complex, and the Valley of the Kings & Queens – where King Tutankhamun was buried, therefore making this an ideal destination for historical, architectural and cultural lovers.
Suggested reading: How Much Does It Cost to Travel in Egypt?
4. The largest desert in the world
Did you know that over 94% of Egypt is sand? Therefore Egyptian culture and heritage were shaped by such severe conditions of the desert. The Sahara or 'The Greatest Desert' is the largest hot desert in the world, and is the third largest desert on the planet after Antarctica and Artic deserts.
Around 6000 BC, some of the early Egyptians living there would herd cattle and build large structures. At that time people used a barter system, trading food and animals. Today, the Sahara Desert's population is around 2.5 million covering 9 million square kilometers, spanning nearly a third of the African continent and covering a total of 11 countries.
The desert offers anyone wanting a break from the city to head out and appreciate the pristine unspoiled natural beauty. If you like nature and adventure, you can go camel riding, trekking, or hiking, visit oases – such as the Siwa Oasis, located in the middle of an ocean of golden sand, and enjoy the desert night sky.
5. The River Nile – the historic lifeblood of Egypt
The Nile is ranked as the longest river in the world with a length of more than 6,6000 km and ends at the Mediterranean Sea in the north. Sail along the Nile River and explore its beauty and learn about how the Ancient Egyptians believed that the eastern side represents life and the western side is for death and the afterlife, therefore many lived on the eastern bank, and built their tombs and burial sites on the western bank. With a cruise along the River, you will see great attractions of Luxor city as well as the monumental sites of Aswan.
Read more about Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Egypt
6. Savor the gastronomy
Egyptian cuisine is one of the most unique in the world, blending many different influences from other parts of Africa, the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. This created an amazing melting pot of different cultures which come together to create some magnificent food. You can enjoy the sweet and savory tastes of the county as you explore the colorful bazaars. Egyptian cuisine will make your visit a delightful one.
With a visit to Egypt, you can see hieroglyphs, explore ancient ruins, and encounter history you could never imagine. So, don't ask why you should visit, but why not? Allow us to help you begin your journey to explore and learn how this ancient civilization has shaped our world. Check some popular Egypt tours for inspiration.
Why Travel with Global Highlights (98.8% positive customer reviews among 10,000+)
- Unique experiences tailored to your interests: Enjoy a premium trip that goes beyond the typical tourist attractions.
- Hassle-free travel and peace of mind: Every aspect of your trip will be carefully planned and organized by your 1:1 travel consultant.
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides: Your guides will be local and love to work for travelers' smiles.
- 12-Day Journey Through Egypt and Jordan's Ancient Lands
- 24-Day Panoramic Middle East Bible Journey
- 15-Day Morocco and Egypt Highlights Tour
- 18-Day Egypt Jordan and Israel's Treasures Discovery Tour
- 15-Day Best of Israel Jordan and Egypt Family Tour
- 2-Week Egypt and Jordan Family Adventure Tour
- Middle East Tours 2023/2024: Personalized and Stress-free
- 12-Day Best Egypt Tour with Sharm El Sheikh
- 16-Day Grand Egypt Tour with White Desert
- 9-Day Egypt Tour with Mount Sinai
- 3-Week Itineraries to Egypt, Jordan, and Israel for First-Timers
- How to Plan a 2-Week Egypt, Jordan, and Israel Trip: the Top 2 Itinerary Ideas
- Best and Worst Times to Visit Egypt and Jordan 2023/2024
- How to Plan a Trip to Egypt, Jordan, and Israel in 2023/2024
- How to Plan a 7-Day Egypt and Jordan Itinerary (2023/2024)
- Planning a 2-Week Egypt Itinerary 2023/2024: Best 5 Options
- How Long to Spend in Egypt: Itineraries for First-Timers
- How to Plan a Trip to Egypt 2023/2024 & Itinerary Ideas
- How to Plan a 3-Week Egypt Itinerary (2023/2024)
- Best and Worst Times to Visit Egypt 2023/2024
- How to Plan a Nile River Cruise in Egypt 2023/2024
- How to Plan a Family Trip to Egypt in 2023/2024
- Weather in Egypt in January 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in February 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in March 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in April 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in May 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in June 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in July 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in August 2024: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in September 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in October 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in November 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips
- Weather in Egypt in December 2023: Best Places to Go & Travel Tips